Sometimes no matter what you do, you just have to finally give in and admit it doesn't work. And with that in mind, I had to admit to myself today that as much as I like the curtains, they just don't actually work in this room.
I was unsure about it from the beginning. I wanted something all floaty and diaphanous but because of the lining it turned out quite stiff and didn't hang the way I wanted it to. It was also a little too narrow and a little too long.
Then there's the fact that it's hanging from a wire that sags ever so slightly in the middle. Oh and the fact that it was hung slightly too high up the window.
And as if that litany of mistakes wasn't enough, the final nail in the curtains coffin was the fact that it looked bloody awful from the outside. Something that I didn't discover until this morning.
I always struggle with giving up on something that I've spent so much time on, but if I've learnt one thing in the last couple of years it's that if it doesn't look right then it's worth changing it. Regardless of how much work you've put in to it!
Not that it doesn't cause me to wince slightly at the thought of taking the seam ripper to all that work, but if it's wrong, it's wrong. I am thinking though that maybe I can turn it into a couple of new pillows, or maybe the start of a quilt.And in the mean time, the fabulous rose fabric that I found on Sunday is the perfect size and looks wonderful, especially as a backdrop to the beautiful roses that Jim bought me a couple of days ago.
I'm a little torn now though. Because I love the way that the 'new' curtain looks, but I also like the clean lines of the wooden blind. I think it's just going to be seeing what I can live with and what looks best over the next few weeks, before making a permanent decision.
In other news, I am pleased with the new cushion that I made last night. Although once it was made I realised that it deserved more than a tip of the hat towards the wonderful Tif's latest cushion!
It's actually a combination of two different cushions and yet another lesson in if it doesn't work, change it. The bottom patchwork piece of the cushion was actually supposed to be the back piece of another cushion, but I just kept taking it apart and putting it back together again and again and eventually just left it thrown to one side. Until last night when I put it together with a piece of my 'new' vintage rose fabric and voila! Very happy with it.
Isn't it funny though how something new can influence you? All of a sudden I'm aware that I'm working with designs that look good on my new armchair! And I have to say that the new colour of my studio is having an influence on both my designs and my fabric buying choices. I'm wondering how much of a long term difference it's going to make.
And finally, today was a very good mail day. Look what I got!
That object of true beauty is my slip from Tif (she's going to think I'm stalking her with the mentioning her twice in one post!). And it really is already my favourite item of clothing. It looks wonderful as a summery dress and just as good over a pair of jeans. I put it on as soon as I opened the package this morning and both Jim and Bella immediately ohh and ahhed. And when I said that I was going to have to buy another one (this one's a swap - lucky, lucky me) Jim agreed straight away that I should buy as many as I want!
Thanks so much Tif - and you should never question your very obvious talent!