This is one of those fabric collections that I just can't wait for. As far as I'm concerned, Lotta Jansdotter can do very little wrong and her first collection for Windham Fabrics is a point in case.
The only thing about this collection that I don't like is the fact that it's not released until November 1st!
It was the last ever Craft Candy craft fair at the Millenium Gallery in Sheffield yesterday. And with over 1700 visitors, even the torrential downpour didn't seem to deter to many people from turning up.
After a shaky start (car not starting, slicing my finger open, not having a clue where we were going etc) the day turned out to be a good one. I was lucky enough to have a lot of customers, even though I hadn't had much time to make much new stock. I also had the pleasure of saying hello to quite a few people who stopped by to say that they read the blog. Which is always lovely.
It's a real shame that Craft Candy has ended but the venue (which is absolutely fantastic) is going to be taken over by Leeds based fair organisers Reetsweet for a fair in November, so hopefully all is not lost.
So the skirt didn't fit but this tunic does. Which is not as obvious as it sounds, because it started off being for Bella.
I've obviously still got some way to go when it comes to working out measurements for patterns I'm drafting myself. But at least I get to keep this mistake.
I used a yellow medium weight cotton (with a slight sheen) for the main body of the tunic and originally gave it a dark orange neckline, but once I realised that it was way too large for Bella, I changed it to a stronger, dark grey linen. Then I added more of the grey linen to the bottom hem to lengthen the tunic.
I'm not sure how I got the measurements quite so wrong, but I'm glad that I did. I've been wanting to make a simple tunic for myself but would never have gotten around to doing it. So it's a very happy accident.
I'm going to make it using a light weight cotton next because although this one is fairly soft I want to try it with a softer drape. I have a couple of yards of a Denyse Schmidt voile that would be perfect, but I find it so hard to use so much good fabric on myself.
Of course, I'm also going to try redrafting it in Bella's size!
Half way through making this skirt yesterday, I realised that there was no way it was ever going to fit me and that a certain amount of wishful thinking was obviously involved when I was deciding which size to make.
It's the first time I've made a skirt with a zip and darts, and I didn't want to waste the fabric, so I decided to go ahead and finish it (and to be honest there was still a certain amount of wishful thinking going on) and put the whole thing down to being a practice run.
What that means though is that I'm now left with a skirt that I can't wear, which is silly, so I thought I might as well just give it away.
It's not perfect, but it's definitely wearable, so if anyone is interested in it, just leave me a comment and I'll pick a number etc, etc.
The skirt is a size small (see, wishful thinking) which I reckon is a UK size 8-10 or a US size 4-6.
I've feel a little like I've lost my way at the moment. I have lots of ideas but no time and increasingly less focus. So in an attempt to get it back I made myself this tunic today.
I didn't use a pattern, I just started sewing and cutting until I had what I wanted - a slouchy tunic top to throw over leggings or jeans.
It was quick and easy (unless you ask Lily, who says that she had to wait forever for me to finish it before we went out!) and Bella has asked me to make her one. So a relative success.
I'm not sure it's helped me focus, but at least I have a new top to wear!