After the craziness of the last few weeks, I'm trying to claw back Sundays as my fun sewing day. A day for making stuff for me and the girls (and when I can work up the courage to open this pattern , for Jim too).
So yesterday (as well as fitting in a 3 hour nap - don't judge, I've been working many late nights), I made a pair of leggings for Bella and this top for me.
(I don't usually walk around the house in glasses, I took this as I was heading out the door - honest!)
I bought a top from Gap a few years ago that I love because it's both flattering and comfortable and makes me feel good on flabby days and for ages I've wanted to use it as a template to make some more in different fabrics.
To make this I literally laid the original one on to a roll of paper and traced around the front piece, the back piece and the arms, adding seam allowance and taking in to account the gathering at the neckline. Then I made a trial muslin to check the size, which was pretty spot on apart from lengthening the arms slightly and lowering the hemline.
Then because I still wanted to double check sizes, but was feeling fairly confident I made this one out of a cotton/poly mix that I picked up a few weeks ago because it was cheap and I like the colour.
Although I obviously spend a lot of time making children's clothing at the moment, I'm still always shocked when I manage to make something 'big' that actually works. As well as being shocked by how easy it is.
Bella gave me her approval this morning by giving me a congratulatory hug whilst saying "well done Mum, it's so good it looks like you bought it from a shop"....... sigh.