The girls are on half term holidays at the moment, so I'm not getting any serious time in the studio. But because I don't like to not sew, I have been using the down time to catch up with some quick sewing, that can be interrupted and needs little concentration. A good thing when I am constantly answering questions and making lunches and helping with wordsearches and spelling words, at the same time as cutting the fabric. So continuing my plan of brightening up the house, I made a couple of new cushions today.
The inspiration for the cushions has come from a combination of many photo's of beautiful Scandinavian homes (many found on this great blog) and a trip yesterday to Ikea for breakfast, where I picked up these baskets (I really love woven baskets at the moment) and some fabric.
To make the orange cushion I just bought a ready made cushion cover from their new Brakig collection and cut it down to size to fit my existing cushions.
And for the monochrome striped cushion I chose, unusually for me, to make a cushion cover with a zip. Although I've made lots of zipped pouches in the past, I've hardly ever made a cushion cover with a zip closure.
Although it came out fine, tomorrow I'm going to try a slightly different technique with another cushion cover, that I'm hoping will have a slightly better finish.