Thank you for all the emails over the last couple of weeks. I've really appreciated them, I just wish that there weren't so many people feeling the same pain.
We've been doing ok though. The girls are on school hols now and we've been blessed with some truly beautiful weather, so everything feels pretty good.
I've been making yet more clothes for myself over the last fortnight. This whole sewing for myself lark is a revelation. Because I've never really used other people's patterns, and I'm not clever enough to draft my own adult patterns, I've hadn't fully grasped the concept that I could stop wishing that I could go shopping for some new clothes, and actually just make them myself! Like I said, a revelation!
I bought this Burda 7203 pattern about 5 years ago and at the time had only got as far as cutting it out. I found it again a couple of days ago when I was cleaning out my studio and realised that it's the exact design that I've been looking for!
What was really interesting about this pattern was that it showed me exactly how far I've come with my sewing in the last five years. Back when I started cutting this out, I obviously had no idea how to read a pattern or follow the instructions. To start with, I had chosen completely the wrong fabric to make it in - a heavy weight cotton with no drape at all and then I was surprised to find that instead of just transferring the markings for the darts, I actually cut the whole thing out! As in, cut out the triangle used to indicate the darts. It's such a basic thing and I'm really surprised to see that I had no idea that the markings meant that I needed to sew a dart!
I'm relieved to see though that what I once found confusing, I now find extremely straight forward, and once I had recut the pattern pieces using my favourite new fabric, it only took me a couple of hours from start to finish.
And I'm really pleased with the end result. It's extremely comfortable and easy to wear. The darts in the front and back stop it from looking like a boring box shaped top and although you can't see them in these pics, the vents in the side give it a really nice detail along with the boat neck.
Since making this one, I've made up another in an even lighter weight fabric and a size smaller, and love it just as much.
Next I'm moving on to something that I have a feeling won't be quite so straight forward though.
I need some trousers that fit me and have the Colette Clover pattern to have a go at. I'm a little worried about the fact that I've seen blog posts all over the internet for refits and adjustments for this pattern, but I'm going to give it a go. And I've still got two more Top 64's cut out and a new Simplicity dress.
I'm not going to get anything else done before the end of the holidays now though, because today we're off on an adventure....